Standardize XCM/HRMP Channel Opening Proposals and Disclosures
Let’s make key information more accessible to Moonriver and Moonbeam community members when voting on XCM/HRMP Channel Openings and when using the Moonbeam Dapp.
XCM enables cross-chain collaboration between parachains and is a hallmark feature of Kusama / Polkadot as well as an important aspect of Moonriver’s / Moonbeam’s growth. However, with any new tech integration there are risks and the Moonriver and Moonbeam community should be more easily able to assess these risks when voting on whether to open an HRMP channel (enabling XCM) with another parachain.
To help ensure the community is more informed on XCM/HRMP Channel openings, this proposal addresses two items:
- #1 A standard template for Proposals to accept/open XCM/HRMP channels to/from Moonriver/Moonbeam, including Required Key Disclosures
- #2 Suggested enhancement to the Moonbeam Dapp to link to those Disclosures for assets supported in the Moonbeam Dapp
XCM Channel Opening Governance Template and Required Key Disclosures
#1 A draft of the Proposal must be posted in the Moonbeam Forum to the community to review, ask questions and provide suggestions. The Proposer must submit a draft of their Proposal to an “XCM” Category in the Forum and tag either Moonriver or Moonbeam.
- While there is no required time the Draft Proposal should be available in the Forum before being submitted on-chain, there is benefit in gathering community engagement, feedback and support in this stage. In addition, community members and forum moderators can highlight to the Proposer if required information regarding Disclosures is missing allowing the Proposer to amend and refine the Proposal before submitting in Governance.
#2 Proposer for a XCM/HRMP Channel Opening must follow a standardized XCM/HRMP Channel Opening Proposal Template
- i. Title: [Network Project Name] Proposal to [Open/ Accept HRMP] Channel
- ii. Key Disclosures: see below the required format and content
- iii. TL:DR: One sentence summarizing Proposal
- iv. Network Information: One sentence summarizing your Network and relevant links to your Network website, Twitter and social channels.
- v. Summary: Brief description of the content of the Proposal
- vi. On-Chain Proposal Reference: Include Moonriver or Moonbeam on-chain Proposal # and Hash
- vii. Technical Details: Provide technical information required for community to understand intended purpose of Proposal
- viii. Additional Information: (optional): this last section is optional if there is more information the Network thinks would be relevant for the community but does not fit into the sections above.
#3 Proposer for a XCM Channel Opening must provide the following Key Disclosure as part of the XCM Channel Opening Governance Template:
i. Is the Blockchain Code Open-Source (and include Github link)? If parts of the code are not open source: please provide information on why not
ii. Is Sudo-disabled on the Network? If Sudo is disabled, is the Network controlled by a select group of addresses (<50 addresses)?
iii. Have you completed full testing of this integration on the Moonbase Alpha TestNet?
iv. (For Moonbeam XCM/HRMP Proposals Only) Does your network have a Kusama deployment? If yes, please provide Network name and whether your Kusama deployment is integrated with Moonriver
v. Is your blockchain code audited? If yes, please provide: i. the name of Auditors, ii. dates of audit reports and, if available, links to audit reports.
Suggestion for the Moonbeam Dapp to increase transparency on XCM/ HRMP Channels supported in the Dapp.
The Moonbeam Foundation should consider including a link to the Key Disclosures (outlined above) made in the respective networks’ XCM/HRMP Channel Opening Governance proposals in the Moonbeam DApp. It would be helpful to have these disclosures available in proximity to any assets supported through that network integration.
Assuming this proposal moves forward and is approved by the community, then all future networks that want Moonbeam Dapp support would have these disclosures laid out the network’s XCM/HRMP Channel Opening Governance proposal. The only additional ask is for the Networks to make a good-faith effort to keep those Key Disclosures up to date so long as they are supported by the Moonbeam Dapp.
For Historical XCM/HRMP Integrations: the Moonbeam Foundation should consider requiring these Networks to provide the same Key Disclosures as outlined above and post in the Moonbeam Forum.
All Networks must make a good-faith effort to keep those Key Disclosures up to date so long as they are supported by the Moonbeam Dapp.