Title - [Proposal: XX] [Status: Idea] Moonbeam/Moonriver/Moonbase Alpha customized Infrastructure proposal
Author - Nodefleet
Ongoing costs for the running of customized bare metal public infrastructure for the Moonbeam, Moonbase Alpha and Moonriver from 1st June 2023 until 31st August 2023 (3 months).
As a node provider company that already runs several blockchains and already supports Moonbeam/Moonriver networks, we understand the advantage of having various providers. Especially a dedicated hosting/baremetal with higher throughput (convenient for spike usages) and the opportunity to bring a cost effective infrastructure solution to Moonbeam so it can keep offering RPC access to 3 of their main networks to his community/developer.
This is done by providing a quality and battle tested provider improving decentralization and increasing availability while delivering a solid platform for its builder community.
- Project Overview and Team Experience
Nodefleet is a Web3 blockchain and node running company focused on delivering value for investors/builders on the Pocket Network ecosystem providing top quality engineering and quality infrastructure around all of its products. Currently our main product is POKT nodes staking, but also staking in other blockchains and datanodes services.
Working at Pocket Network since the initial years, we also started, since 2019, running nodes. Then, in May 2022, Nodefleet was born, and ever since, the company has been among the top providers in the space.
Nodefleet is the third largest node provider on pocket.network with all of our Pocket Network domains combined, our main domain which is nodefleet.org is processing around 117-150m requests per day served through a decentralized blockchain network with around 23 different blockchains nodes across 3 regions; Southeast Asia, North America and Central Europe. The last 30 days we’ve had a total of 3.6 billion request processed (attached in the links section)
From these chains we also run Moonbeam/Moonriver and process around 200,000-500,000 requests daily.
We are highly interested in collaborating with Moonbeam Foundation by delivering quality service/products in order to add more value to the network and community
(Pocket real time statistics relay process per chain)
Alternate domains we manage:
Nodefleet total chain report last 30 days
- Team -
Lowell Abbott - Senior DevOps/ Infrastructure Specialist
Steve Martinez - Devops / Backend Engineer
- Rationale -
The Moonbeam infrastructure grant adds value to the Moonbeam network in the following ways:
Providing multi region access via http/websocket to 3 of their main networks (Moonbase Alpha/Moonriver/Moonbeam)
Provides a quality based and cost effective solution globally supported in 3 different regions
Provides a dedicated bare metal infrastructure with higher throughput and limit API limit on API calls for the Moonbeam community
Provides up to date maintenance with the nodes
Provides dashboard with traffic usage shared for the Moonbase Foundation team
Provide open source deployment tool of our software stack
- Overall cost -
$6,000 USD monthly for the support of the service on a trimestral basis on the first day of every month. The amount can be payable in GLMR calculated at an avg USD price over the last 7 days.
- Use of Treasury Funds -
The costs shown below are assuming there’s 2 nodes for every region
- Moonbeam Mainnet 6 nodes - $1,000 USD
- Moonriver Mainnet 6 nodes - $1,000 USD
- Moonbase Alpha Mainnet 6 nodes- $1,000 USD
Support and maintenance
- $3,000 USD
$6,000 USD monthly
We’ll be offering private HTTPS and WSS (Websocket) multi-region access to bare metal nodes with Moonbeam, Moonriver and Moonbase Alpha networks through nodefleet.org infrastructure, in order to bring availability, infrastructure costs savings and a real time dashboard with traffic/usage for analytics purpose for Moonbeam foundation.
We’ll be delivering the following list of features and specs for this project:
- Service Availability 99.9%.
- Multiprovider deployment - the nodes used for this project will exist in 2 different providers to avoid downtime in case of provider failure.
- 24/7 Engineer/Customer support.
- Blockchain friendly providers - The providers we use are blockchain friendly in order to avoid any sudden service cancellation or sudden change in provider policy regarding running blockchain nodes.
- Real time monitoring and alerting via a shared dashboard with the internal team for visualizing traffic overview/incidents/downtime.
- Developer support and alarms monitoring on dedicated Discord channels.
- Support for 3 regions and 2 nodes each on every region for every blockchain (Moonbeam/Moonriver/MoonbaseAlpha):
- North America (US-east)
- South East Asia (Singapore)
- EU-Central (Frankfurt)
- Geo-Balanced traffic and geo-balanced redirection - meaning that we’ll be redirecting the request to the closest region and if one region is down we’ll be redirected to the closest region available.
- Unlimited calls/second (rate limited just for 2k Request per second to avoid DDoS among other security rules).
- Baseline of 300 Millions API calls monthly.
- Everything over 300 millions, it’s charged $1.00 USD per 1m.
Geo-Load Balancer RPC dedicated endpoint with http and websocket for Moonbeam/Moonriver/Moonbase Alpha.
Shared load balancer traffic/usage dashboard with Moonbase team for monitoring/analytics purpose.
- Monitoring Discord channels with proper status/high peak usage alerts notifications.
- Maintenance/status update channel regarding maintenance windows on the infrastructure.
Steps to implement
Below is a set of next steps that we’ll take after the grant it’s approved by the foundation.
We have most of the steps done like the public geo-balanced endpoint but since we are going to provide dedicated bare metal nodes we’ll be doing some infrastructure setup for it:
- Deliver geo-balanced dedicated endpoints for moonbeam foundation with support for http/wss for the 3 node mainnet networks:
- Moonbeam Alpha
- Perform load testing and deliver endpoints to the Moonbase Foundation
Create and configure the grafana dashboards shared with the Moonbase team with proper uptime charts/ traffic usage metrics
Create and configure alarms with discord channels shared with Moonbase team to keep infrastructure updates communication and automated alarms from the infrastructure
The steps mentioned would take around 2-3 weeks or less to complete since we need to clone existing nodes to provide availability, execute performance tests and customize the dashboards mentioned above.